Midwest Concrete Materials, Inc. has established itself as a regional leader in ready-mix concrete, aggregates, construction materials, and trucking and excavation services. Established in 1927, and now in its 4th generation of family ownership, MCMI is seeking someone to lead the Human Resources Department. With over 200 employees and multiple locations in eastern Kansas, MCMI is seeking candidates with a strong background in the markets that it serves.
The HR Department is actively engaged in and provides oversight of all human resource activities, including employee relations, recruitment, staffing, orientation, compensation, benefits, training, and safety. In coordination with the Executive Management Team, this position develops and executes initiatives to recruit and retain top talent and provide the vision for developing HR programs for continued success.
Primary Areas of Responsibilities:
This list is a representation of the many duties and responsibilities of the HR Manager.
- Interacts with the executive team to recruit, develop, deploy, maintain, and update corporate policy with an emphasis on employee relations, compensation, benefits, performance management, training, and succession planning
- Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all company personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains employee handbook and policies and procedures manual
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal regulations for employment, EEO, OSHA, MSHA, ADA, FMLA, DOT, FMCSA; recommends best practices for compliance
- Responds to employee relations issues such as EEOC, harassment allegations, etc., and conducts thorough investigations to resolution
- Partners across functional areas to create a positive culture that supports Company values and continual improvement in employee engagement
- Acts as a subject matter expert within the organization; provides interpretation, recommended best practices, and ensures compliance with key legal requirements and adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Serves as a link between administration and employees by handling questions, interpreting policies, and helping resolve work-related problems
- Manages health and welfare enrollment and program administration; keeps abreast of developments in the health marketplace, oversees the annual review of plan results, and oversees the open enrollment process
- Manages the recruitment efforts and hiring of non-exempt and exempt personnel; screens candidates, leads interviews, prepares job offers, oversees pre-employment processes; oversees new hire onboarding process and orientation; collaborates with managers/supervisors to understand skills and competencies
Directs the safety and training programs for various positions, including drivers, mechanics, and equipment operators
Evaluates reports and analyzes data that are key metrics for HR, i.e. turnover, incidents, accidents, etc. Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to promote continual improvement
Performs routine tasks as needed to administer and execute HR programs, including benefits, compensation, leave, disciplinary matters, investigations, health, safety, training, and developments
- Previous experience as an HR Manager, HR Generalist or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to build credibility and confidence with a wide variety of employees and leaders as a trusted advisor and confidant; ability to influence individuals at all levels of the organization
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to the construction, mining, and transportation industries
- Comprehensive knowledge of human resources management theory, practice, employment laws, and governmental regulations
- Experience in the recruitment, selection and training of personnel, and demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and decision making
- Excellent human relations skills, oral and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills sufficient to effectively handle the most critical, sensitive or emotionally disruptive issues.
- Human resource leadership position in the construction and/or transportation industries
- Bachelor’s degree in Organizational Development, Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field
- Experience with partially and/or fully self-funded insurance programs
Position Status: Full-Time
Location: Manhattan, KS
Submit your cover letter and resume’ to: email@example.com
MCMI is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, disability, family or parental status, or any other status protected by law. MCMI will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.